- Mar 23 2022Did you know these five things about the Fleetwood Mac classic?
Fleetwood Mac: 5 Facts About 'Dreams'
Fleetwood Mac: 5 Facts About 'Dreams'
This week in 1977, Fleetwood Mac released Dreams from their eleventh studio album Rumours – the classic rock legends’ first and only US number one hit single. So the story goes, Stevie Nicks wrote the song in early 1976 at the Record Plant studio in California in around 10 minutes, on a day when she wasn't required in the main studio…
Fleetwood Mac | ‘Dreams’
Celebrating one of classic rock's all-time greatest albums, here are some fun facts about Dreams.
1. In October 2020, Dreams rode a wave of Ocean Spray all the way to the number one spot on the Billboard Rock Digital Song Sales chart, all thanks to a TikTok user by the name of Nathan Apodaca – aka 420doggface208 – who captured the mood of history’s strangest year in recent history with a simple video of himself lip-syncing to the song while cruising down an empty highway, swigging on a bottle of cranberry juice. See more, here.
So thanks for the love and support an here it is my original video same as all going around but yes thanks for the love n donations it’s very appreciated an much needed 🤙🏼 vibe on world pic.twitter.com/gkCgc1U9As— *BLAZIN*4*1*NATION* (@doggface208) September 27, 2020
Following the video’s viral spread, 43 years after its original release in 1977, Dreams also ranked in the Top 50 most-streamed songs on Spotify and Apple Music in the US, the UK, Australia and New Zealand.
4. Stevie Nicks wrote the colossal hit 10 minutes
Stevie Nicks once told Blender magazine: "One day when I wasn't required in the main studio, I took a Fender Rhodes piano and went into another studio that was said to belong to Sly Stone, of Sly and the Family Stone. It was a black-and-red room, with a sunken pit in the middle where there was a piano and a big black-velvet bed with Victorian drapes. I sat down on the bed with my keyboard in front of me, I found a drum pattern, switched my little cassette player on and wrote 'Dreams' in about 10 minutes. Right away I liked the fact that I was doing something with a dance beat because that made it a little unusual for me."
3. It is Fleetwood Mac's only #1 hit
Dreams peaked at #1 in both the US and Canada, and hit the top 40 in other territories including Australia (#19), New Zealand (#16) and the Netherlands (#8).
2. It was written during complete turmoil
The drama behind the scenes was like an episode of Days of Our Lives. Stevie Nicks had just split with lead guitarist Lindsey Buckingham after eight years, while Christine McVie was in the midst of divorcing her husband, bassist John McVie. Meanwhile, Mick Fleetwood’s marriage was on the rocks, leading to an affair with Nicks during the same year... talk about an excess of heartrending inspiration!
1. Two cover versions have also charted
Irish band The Corrs released a cover of Dreams in 1998 picking up a Billboard Award for Best Adult Contemporary Video. Deep Dish released a dance version of the track featuring Stevie Nicks vocals in 2005 which was also a Top 40 hit around the globe.
You can get Rumours on CD and vinyl, along with stacks of other Fleetwood Mac albums and merch below!
Listen to Fleetwood Mac on Spotify:
Listen to Fleetwood Mac on Apple Music:
- https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/watch-stevie-nicks-earth-shattering-cover-led-zeppelin-rock-roll-wmMusic NewsPOSTED 6 May 2022
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/watch-bob-dylan-neil-young-tom-petty-eric-clapton-all-star-band-perfrom-my-back-pagesMusic NewsPOSTED 25 May 2022
- https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/revisit-david-bowies-lets-dance-live-sydney-entertainment-centre-1987-wmMusic NewsPOSTED 21 May 2022