5 Tina Turner Essentials
5 Tina Turner Essentials
Tina Turner is more than just a powerhouse singer, she’s a symbol of power, defiance and heroic talent. From her vivacious 60s Motown band with Ike Turner, the smooth acerbic charm of 1984’s Private Dancer, the understated triumph of 1989’s Foreign Affair and beyond, Turner’s music has captured a simmering intensity, empowering for the proof that one can burn without ever having to explode.
This month, a remastered edition of Turner’s third studio album, Foreign Affair featuring the global smash “The Best” is being reissued on vinyl. We’re celebrating with a career-spanning selection of essential tracks – You could say it’s the best of the best! Enjoy below.
1971’s “Proud Mary” marks an early turning point in Tina’s career. With her rasping growl at the forefront, backed by a frenetic horn section, the gritty, funky Creedence Clearwater Revival cover turned Tina (and then-husband, Ike Turner) into household names, selling over a million copies and reaching No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100, just two years after the Creedence Clearwater Revival original charted.
“What's Love Got to Do With It”
From her fifth solo album, Private Dancer, “What's Love Got to Do with It" became Turner's most successful single. At the age of 44, she became the oldest female artist to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart with her first No. 1. The song also lends it’s name to a 1993 film detailing the harrowing abuse she suffered at the hands of Ike Turner.
“We Don't Need Another Hero” (Thunderdome)
This power ballad appearing in the 1985 cult classic Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. The music video features Turner dressed in her heavy chain mail Aunty Entity gown from the film, crooning atop a platform over post-apocalyptic destruction and won her a nod for Best Female Video at the MTV VMA’s that year.
“I Don't Wanna Fight”
The rich, restrained vocals of this cinematic epic doubles in a masterclass in how to deliver a searing tale without ever losing your cool.
From 1989’s Foreign Affair – the anthem to end all anthems. In Australia, "The Best" and its triumphant chorus are synonymous with rugby league, but a look back over the verses reveal a tastefully subdued account of burning desire that cuts to the heart.
This month, Tina Turner’s third studio album, Foreign Affair featuring the global smash “The Best” is being reissued on vinyl. As one of the biggest albums of the ‘80s, Foreign Affair showcased Tina Turner at her very best, further cementing her position as The Queen of Rock ‘n Roll. The original album has been fully remastered for the first time and arrives with a collection of B-sides, remixes and demos. The Foreign Affair reissue is available in a variety of bundle options that include a commemorative passport featuring a number of iconic photos of Tina, a booklet with brand-new liner notes from T-Shirt, tote bag, sweatshirt and more. Pre-order, here.
Listen to Tina Turner on Spotify:
Listen to Tina Turner on Apple Music:
- https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/flashback-to-tina-turners-heroic-proud-mary-live-in-1990Music NewsPOSTED 11 Jun 2021
- https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/tina-turner-is-being-inducted-into-the-rock-roll-hall-of-fameMusic NewsPOSTED 13 May 2021
- https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/tina-turner-has-taken-the-lead-in-the-rock-roll-hall-of-fame-fan-voteMusic NewsPOSTED 23 Apr 2021
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/revisit-broken-arrow-by-neil-young-crazy-horse-25-years-onMusic NewsPOSTED 26 Jul 2021
- https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/lindsey-buckingham-evokes-fleetwood-mac-in-new-song-on-the-wrong-sideMusic NewsPOSTED 26 Jul 2021
- https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/joni-mitchell-to-receive-lifetime-achievement-award-at-2021-kennedy-centre-honorsMusic NewsPOSTED 23 Jul 2021
- https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/listen-to-princes-previously-unreleased-hot-summer-from-welcome-2-americaMusic NewsPOSTED 23 Jul 2021